|Individual Placement Description|
|Hospital(s)||University Hospital Hairmyres, East Kilbride, South Lanarkshire|
|Main Duties of Placement||
You will rotate through wards for acute surgical receiving, general and colorectal and vascular surgery.
You will be ward-based and gain experience in the management of patients under your care.
|Typical Work Pattern||
· Work pattern is full shift.
· No need to do night shifts.
· Rota is New Deal compliant at Band 1A.
· Average weekly hours less than 48 hours.
· Regular informal teaching on ward rounds and MDT.
· Opportunities to learn how to do practical procedures, assist in theatre and perform minor ops.
· You are expected to attend teaching sessions with 2 hours of protected teaching per week as noted below.
· On-site library facilities available 24/7.
· Excellent computer access for e-learning and online modules.
· Informal on ward rounds and at MDT meetings.
· Dedicated FY1 teaching on Tuesday lunchtime (Protected teaching time).
· Postgraduate Medical Education meetings on Wednesday lunchtime (Protected teaching time).
· Weekly departmental meetings (for case presentations, audit, journal club) on Monday lunchtime.
|Unique Selling Points||
· Excellent induction and hand-overs.
· Good support from Seniors.
· No night shifts and appropriate workload.
· Good teaching programme.
· Close working relationship with Consultant supervisors.
|It is important to note that this description is a typical example of your placement and may be subject to change.|